Re: Starting dates for thru-hikers

On Sat, 3 Feb 1996, MR JOE CASTLE wrote:
> When are the thru-hiking
> hopefuls setting out this year? When do the thru-hikers from previous
> years think is the best time? I would like to avoid starting with a
> huge crowd, but with all the publicity the AT received last year, I
> don't know if it will be possible, especially since I can start no
> earlier than mid- to late-March for financial reasons -- gotta save
> up some cash! (Of course, the most important thing is just starting,
> be it with a crowd of 10 or 1,000.)
>    Any suggestions/advice?

Joe,
	When I started my hike in 81, I didn't start until 1st of June
for the same reasons (financial). I knew then I wouldn't make Katahdin by
closing date (Oct. 15) but I figured I'd go until I felt it was time to
quit (i.e. my money or enthusiam wore out), I ended my hike in the snow
at the end of Nov. in NH, after doing a flip-flop at the end of the
Shenandoahs...It was a great time to hike...all the rhododendrums & mtn
azaleas in full-bloom in the South, the progression of Fall in Me. in
Oct. I've saved Baxter & Katahdin for my finale...
	But, I digress....the best time to start is whenever you can!
There are adventures waiting you any time of year! It is a good idea to
start when you have the finances under control...midway I had a friend
sell my kayak just so I could stay in the woods...But, do go. You will
enjoy what you see... Pat

Follow-Ups: References: