[at-l] The Gathering

Well OK then :>))
Clyde
From: "Gadog430" <gadog430@charter.net>

From: shane at theplacewithnoname.com (Shane Steinkamp)
Date: Wed Mar 15 22:43:27 2006
Subject: [at-l] Weirdest night noises

The weirdest noise I ever heard at night was my own snoring...

Down here in the deep south - and in particularly in SW Mississippi, there
is a particular woodpecker that makes his right around dawn.  I like to take
newbie backpackers there for an overnight.  I get up right before dawn and
do camp chores while I wait for the woodpecker.

Soon enough, right on cue, various woodpeckers will start to call their
morning call, and more often than not, they're right above us in the trees.
The call sounds just exactly like a banshee that has come to take your soul
to hell.  It is absolutely blood-chilling.

The second the woodpeckers start up, I scream in a panicked voice, "IT'S
COMING!  IT'S IN THE TREES!"

Newbies practically faint.  It's hilarious.

Unfortunately, I quit doing it, because the last time I did it, my newbie
buddy looked at me with a completely crazed look in his eye, and took off
screaming into the woods.  It took me awhile to catch him, calm him down,
and explain that it was just a little woodpecker...

Sheesh.

Shane