[at-l] Weirdest night noises

Looks as if we need a hiking topic.  Please share your tale of the weirdest (or most mysterious, humorous, scariest, most annoying, whatever) night noises you ever heard while camping.

Joan  (who ought to be played by Kathy Bates if they ever make a movie of this list)
bluetrail@aol.com

Scariest--camping along the FT in the Ocala NF in the only clear spot we could find--it was right at dark when we set up camp.  The wide spot in the palmettos was right next to a dirt road.  Snuggled into the tent about 8:30.  About 11:00 a truckload of apparently drunk hunters roared down the road, their headlights totally illuminating the tent.  They topped of the effect by yelling at us.  Though I'm not a fraidy cat, being awakened with all that light and racket brought to mind every "Deliverance" thought I'd ever had.  They moved on, but it took about 20 minutes for my heart rate to return to normal.