[at-l] Camp Michaux Program at Amelia Givin Library

The slide show would make an fascinating addition to the proceedings; not that the hiking related ones aren't excellent.

Some of us are quite interested in the historical background of things, I am sure.

-"Camo"

From: Steve Landis <s.landis@comcast.net>

From: RoksnRoots at aol.com (RoksnRoots@aol.com)
Date: Sat Feb 11 14:22:38 2006
Subject: [at-l] Grizzly Tim Treadwell - Discovery

In a message dated 2/7/2006 6:15:40 PM Eastern Standard Time,
bluetrail@aol.com writes:
*
*
*
Boy, I certainly got a different take on this documentary that you did, R&R.

Since I work in an office that supports some internationally esteemed
environmental researchers, I had quite a different take on what Tredwell was doing.
First of all, he may have been self-educated (which is fine), but he had NO
credentials to be doing what he was doing. One of the reason people have to get
credentials to be in that backcountry with the bears is to protect the animals
from needless interaction with humans. I'm not sure that what he was doing
was science; to me it was a grand experiment touched with delusion.

             ***    Ah, but that was what Treadwell was trying to say in the
first place. He was trying to say the conventional method practiced by
certified and credentialed professionals was not adequately protecting the bears. It
isn't surprising those professionals disliked Treadwell. Take for instance the
view offered by the park service member in the film. He says the number of
poaching incidents were few, but the local people on Treadwell's side said that
wasn't true and poaching was happening. I think the film makes clear that
Treadwell was endorsing a total protection of the bears vs the bureaucratic one
offered by the park service. Total protection involved being there to chase off
threats.

The only scene in the movie that showed anyone arriving and bothering the
bears (they arrived by boat and tossed a rock in the direction of a grizzly)
showed that Tredwell spent the time hiding in the underbrush and trying not to be
seen.  He didn't speak up or confront the people in the boat at all.  I'm not
sure what he meant when he said he was protecting the bears.  The film didn't
show him doing anything but observing, filming, and interacting with the bears.

            ***     My guess was Treadwell was smart enough to not give them
the excuse to call him a wildman who harassed visitors - therefore giving them
the excuse to boot him from the park. I think the people who threw the rock
were trying to get the grizzly to stand for a trophy photo. On the other hand
the bush pilot told of Treadwell rushing like a naked wildman from the bushes
towards people trying to approach the bears (people with guns).

The film also made it clear that he had a long history, going back to his
college days, of lying, of living in a self-created fantasy.  While living in
California he assumed an Australian personna and accent.  He made unsubstantiated
claims about his stint as an actor.  Despite the fact that various women
often accompanied him in his stays in the wilderness, he went to great pains to
keep them off camera and to insist on camera that he was in the wilderness
totally alone.  A fair amount of the footage seemed to be Tredwell promoting
Tredwell.

          ***   Ah, this kind of character defamation strikes me as a
counter-reaction to Treadwell's advocacy. Humans seem to have an anti-wildness gene.
Therefore persons who defend wildness have some kind of defect or personal
flaw. These people are open to public disapproval. Treadwell brought his bear
utopia to wide-eyed school kids who relished the images he showed them and
savored the stories he told. Meanwhile the sob polishing his gun to go shoot
Treadwell's bears goes unmentioned as one of our more normal members of society. I
don't know. I'm not seeing this. I don't think Treadwell did either. What
Treadwell is really guilty of is stepping outside the ever increasing norm in
America. One getting more strictly enforced by the year in our free society.

Yes, he did learn to co-exist with the bears. Yes, what he filmed was
marvelous footage. What I saw was someone who was living on the edge of what most of
us would consider sane.  His ranting rages, the fact that he turned around and
flew back to Alaska that last year (past his usual season for observation)
because of some hassle he had over his airline ticket, his lies--pretty much
equated to some sort of ursine savior complex to me.

                 ***    Sure, but you forget that he WAS a bear savior.

               The hassle of the airline ticket reminded me of persons who
say an AT through-hike makes them long for the simplicity of the wilds. I'm sure
if you focus solely on Treadwell's flaws you can ignore his achievements. His
lies struck me as eccentric, but what really caught my attention were things
like his ability to stand down a wild bear by body motions. He did that
several times in the film. These were wild Alaskan Grizzlies. Tim Treadwell could
stand one down and make it back off. People then say "he thought he was a bear".
>From what I'm seeing he was.

          It seems a shame to view Treadwell in such limited terms because
there are many tangents we could discuss involving environmental crucifixion by
bear etc. He was sort of an environmental saint. When soldiers die they get
praised and people respect them. When an environmental hero gets killed people
go out of their way to show what a wacko he was. Hmm. People are hard-wired for
civilization, therefore those who ask for some limit to it for the sake of
pure wildness are seen as counter to normal. But that isn't necessarily true.

To me, the film was as much about the way we all delude ourselves as it was
about the bears.

            To me that was exactly Treadwell's point. Treadwell dealt in the
long-term. The long-term dictates those bears will face real habitat changes
and threats exactly because of the range of acceptability and normalness by
which you judge Treadwell. I think the real delusion here is that we aren't
slowly aiding the bear's extinction by our "protection". If you listen to what our
wildman was saying, I think that was his point. In the end, I totally agree
with our obscene, ranting Treadwell that the Park Service will eventually
sell-out to general interests as the AT so readily shows.

                "I'm willing to die for these bears."   - Tim Treadwell.

*