[at-l] Camp Michaux Program at Amelia Givin Library

Bob C wrote:
> The forests around Millinocket Maine were harvested during World War
> II by German Prisoners of War from a prison camp in Seeboomook
> Township, a few miles north of the trail crossing at Abol Bridge. The
> Army assigned several hundred prisoners to Great Northern Paper Co.
> of Millinocket because the company had trouble finding laborers to
> supply its mills with pulp wood.

South Mountain was denuded during the Iron Furnace days when an acre of
trees a day was needed to make the charcoal that fueled the furnace.
You can see a picture and read some history here...
http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/stateparks/parks/pinegrovefurnace_history.aspx

The evolution of Camp Michaux:

CCC Camp S-51-Pa Pine Grove Furnace 1933-1941
http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/stateparks/ccc/Camp.aspx?ID=77

POW Camp from 1942-1945
http://www.beulahpresby.org/webmaster/michaux/SURVEY.htm

Church Camp 1946-1972
http://www.beulahpresby.org/webmaster/michaux.htm

The slide show on Camp Michaux was done by David Smith from the
Cumberland Co Historical Society - the organization that lends us the
big screen for the PARuck.  We might be able to add this program to the
PARuck 2007 schedule along with a hike to the site if there is enough
interest.

Steve