[at-l] SORUCK History and reflections

I was there for the original SO/GARUCK. In fact, I put it together after enjoying the too brief attempt that Earthworm and others tried in April 2000. There were several goals. 1) to take pressure off of the PARUCK and encourage development of smaller regional RUCKs. 2) to let my X-wife discover some hikers and learn my time on AT-L wasn't cybersex. 3) To meet more hikers and get inspiration/education for my own hike. 4) To learn a bit about making gear 5) to share a few short walks. 6) to have a bit of fun.

Being RUCKMeister isn't all fun and games, with many offering useful, and otherwise, advice about how _they_ think it should be. I have always reminded folks that Goal 1 allows anyone to do a better job. We immediately outgrew Goose Creek and never really fit in Amicolola Falls Park. We are likely to outgrow NOC if we don't look into Goal 1 further. The pay as RUCKmeister is miserable. I am not surprised to hear that Sly has some administrative headaches with it, remembering how he inherited the position. I caution RUCKsters in having a single person as RUCKmeister, as we will have a failure of the RUCK if that single person becomes ill or unhappy with the position.

Vendors have been a part of the SORUCK since 2001. This was the first year that vendors helped support planning and initial financing of the SORUCK. I agree that vendors got a pretty raw deal with small display area out of sight and frequently out of mind. I favor the idea of a display area in the mess hall between breakfast and supper.

We have a number of SORUCK traditions, including the Sat AM Blueberry Pancakes (blueberries picked by me and mine at the Blueberry Patch in Hiawassee) and the morning calling of the hogs. The first tradition was from inviting the GARUCKers to our cabin and to meet SWAONM (She Who Ain't Obeyed No More). The latter tradition was from awakening my girls for Saturday breakfast and getting them ready for soccer, swim, softball, dates and whatnot events. Universally, it is hated while everyone follows the call. A newer tradition is the Saturday night meatloaf, which has previously been chili, spaghetti and other dinners. Organized lunches are somewhat new, as prior setups allowed for somewhat catch as catch-can pick up sandwiches and meals. The size and layout of NOC is not consistent with such a plan.

I am concerned, nay I have nightmares, that we will have a food poisoning epidemic among RUCKsters. The common meal preparation by amateurs in an uncertain kitchen (we had non-RUCKers Saturday AM interfering with our labors) makes for a likely problem. We don't use gloves, hair nets and have limited resources for sinks and handwashing. We don't pass my inspection. When this epidemic happens, I fear a suit against the cooks, RUCKmeister and others - and an end to RUCKing.

I think that if we are to maintain the SORUCK at this size or even allow it to grow (given that at least 3 elists promote it), we need to consider a formal corporate organization. It would protect the individuals organizing the SORUCK as well as provide a format for planning and communicating our needs. And we do have to deal with the fact that the SORUCK requires financing. We must make reservations, deposits, communicate and the like. We can either do that by passing out the hat to RUCKers, expecting vendors to sponsor it all (it will become a vendor controlled event), charge admission, or some combination.

I expect that we will outgrow NOC within 2-3 years unless another regional RUCK takes some of the pressure. I suspect that Fontana Village will be our next natural location, made even more likely since EtOH is now served there. Let's do some planning and brainstorming. Those of you who criticize the current SORUCK are to be commended, as you are perfect organizers for the next RUCK edition.

OrangeBug