[at-l] New (sort of) member

Hi all - That Jan Leitschuh sure can be persuasive!  She has single-handedly persuaded me to come out of lurking mode and introduce myself.  I love to hike, have done many weekend backpacking trips, but no long distance, live near the AT in the NC/TN area, and am planning a thru-hike with take-off date this March.  Never really thought seriously about actually thru-hiking (although always was intrigued by the idea) until 2004 when I realized our kids were grown, no longer needed me at home on a daily basis, and my husband said "Go do it!"  Now seems like the time is right, and I am very excited about having the opportunity, and yes, I am counting the days to Springer.

I certainly enjoy the vast array of knowledge and opinions on this list and expect you can answer any questions I may be brave enough to ask!  So for starters - 1. What is the proper place/method to dispose of empty fuel canisters? Can they go in regular trash containers?  2.  When you get a tent that is factory seam-sealed (MSR) should you still do your own seam-sealing as well, or could I in some way mess up the factory seam-sealing?  3. I read somewhere, after I bought my red food bag, that bears are attracted to red.  Is this true?  Thanks!

Transcriber

www.trailjournals.com/transcriber/