[at-l] Slide conversion to digital

Well,  Here's what's been happening in the Black Wolfe's den today.

We, well, Rogene, that is, had purchased a slide capable scanner last
spring.  (An Office Max Closing closeout, a Visioneer 9320 USB.)  Once I
had acquired the slide mask set that was missing from the package, my
attempts to scan slides in with it had been notable for their poor
quality.  This afternoon, after another go-a-round with the manual, and,
playing with various settings, I got "satisfactory" results with some
two dozen slides from my personal collection.

Through put runs around 6 minutes per slide.  This includes some minor
image editing before storage.  Our relatively slow computers are truly
strutting their stuff here though.  I'll experiment with Rogene's faded
slides next year (week) ;).  I'll also get prints from some of the files
and see how the quality holds up.

With around 700 slides in my collection (And that's not counting my
prints and negatives either!) and perhaps more than 3 times that in
Rogene's collection, I'm thinking some efforts to speed up the process
might well be worthwhile.

As to Michelle's reservations:  There will be a window to "update" media
and format cheaply once a "new" format makes mainstream.  The major
issue here is the initial digitization and archiving.  There will always
be some efforts to maintain old formats past their mainstream usage.
That's not my worry at this point, so much as color correction, and
getting prints so I can share these "old" pictures.

Thanks for the replys,  Several of which I've saved for reference.

Bruce W.  (Black Wolfe)