[at-l] Slide conversion to digital

I have  friend who is going this route. Slide scanning services charge
anywhere from 80? to $3 per slide depending on the resolution you want, the
type of file (TIFF or JPG) and they charge extra for writing the files to
CD/DVD, usually about $5 per disc.

If you are scanning "hundreds" of slides, you can buy a very good quality
scanner for less than the *wage* you pay someone else to do it. Anything
over 200-300 slides is a break-even point for a mid-range (non-pro)
multipurpose scanner.

There are negatives (no pun intended) to doing it yourself:
    * You are already a busy person with too many things on your plate that
cut into more important things (like hiking).
    * If you don't have any existing scanning/photo editing skills it's one
more thing to learn (and more time burnt).
    * If you are running an old (more than 3 years) computer with limited
memory and getting into scanning large files will entail buying a new
computer too.
Something Rogene didn't mention was what resolution she wants. She only
said her existing scanner didn't have high enough resolution. What
resolution do you want Rogene? If it's 3200dpi or less I can do it.

Remember that if you are only scanning for computer projection, you do not
need super high resolution. Computers/digital projectors will only display
images at their maximum screen resolution anyway, usually 1024x768. For
printing purposes a 4-5MP scan will make a decent 11x14 print. From 35mm
that would require 1750dpi <>.

Michelle's advice on slide storage is right on and when stored properly
they may last just as long as the CDs which have a 50 year estimated life
span although the quality of the processing (something past your control at
this point) plays into longevity as well.