[at-l] OT: building a good firewall

Walt Daniels <wdlists@optonline.net> wrote:
:: And if you want to see something really scary, turn on the logging
:: in your hardware firewall. Mine will email me the log periodically.
:: I am getting more than 100 attempts a day to break-in. When I
:: originally got a cable modem installed, I thought it would be good
:: to just plug my laptop into it while the technician was here to
:: verify that it was working. My laptop had a virus installed within
:: 10 minutes without protection.

Here's something funny. My hardware firewall is invisible to the net. Won't answer pings. Will reply to NOTHING from the outside.

I log constantly, but it's a pretty slim file. I get no hack attempts because NO ONE KNOWS THAT I'M HERE!

Just something to think about. Sometimes black holes are a wonderful thing.

SMC 7004, just in case it matters.

Frank