Solar Hot Water heater, Was Re: [at-l] The State of the List Now windpower

Jim Bullard wrote:

> At 05:33 PM 12/16/2005 -0500, John Soboleski wrote:
>
>> The efficiency rating for geo exchange is somewhere between 300% and
>> 600%, depending on the application.
>

> 300% to 600%? You can extract 3 to 6 times the BTUs from the ground
> that are in there? At no cost? That doesn't make sense.

The basis they use is the amount of energy you get vs. energy spent to
retrieve it.  The assumption they make is that the btus in the ground
are free. The cost is in extracting them and making them usable. There
is an energy cost but it's several times cheaper than creating the heat
or cooling yourself.
That statistic I used does look suspect on it's own.
John