Solar Hot Water heater, Was Re: [at-l] The State of the List Now windpower

In a message dated 12/16/2005 1:16:05 PM Eastern Standard Time,
janl2@mindspring.com writes:
*
*
*
Well! Here's my news.
I am celebrating a very good year with my own solar hot water heater.
*
*
*

            I spent some time last night reading the link provided for
geo-exchange air conditioning on AT-L. Now I understand how it works. The system
puts underground pipes around your yard that are filled with either water or
anti-freeze fluid. These pipes act as an underground heat exchange system. The
earth, at 6 feet depth, is a constant 50* or so. In winter this is well above
frigid winter air temperatures, so fluid ran out through this temperature layer
absorbs natural heat. This fluid is then taken to the geo-conditioning unit
where electricity is used run a compressor. The compressor takes the heat gained
from the 50* fluid and runs it up to room-warming temperature. It takes much
less energy to heat air from a 50* base than the 0* outside temperature. The
physical act of compression naturally heats air. This air is then fanned into
each room heating the house. The only energy source is electricity. No burning
or CO2 production from furnace heating occurs.

         In summer the system acts like a refrigerator and sucks heat out of
the house instead of injecting cool air. In this case warm house air is forced
into the heat exchange system and into the pipe fluid. When this warmed fluid
is run through the underground pipes it then releases its heat into the 50*
underground background temperature. Natural absorption does about 70% of the
work that would have otherwise been done by fossil fuel energy.

          For people with small yards a vertical pipe system up to 1500 feet
deep is possible. I'm not sure this doesn't take more energy to pump from that
depth however. It makes sense that horizontal piping that runs perpendicular
to gravity would takes less energy to pump...

*