[at-l] It's a gift...

### Oh that Dee -- a laugh-a-minute rip at your local cocktail
party... veritable gadabout.

[I ever tell ya's 'bout the time, Dee and I are rippin' down
this trail, new AT heading over the shoulder of White Top
towards Buzzard Rock, I think, and well *she* was rippin', *I*
was all sorts of hung over from the previous nite's explorations
of Trail Daze tent city and am barely keeping up... and in the
middle of *trying* to get a rhythm, *trying* to get a stride
going, *nearly* being successful, Dee goes and puts out her
heels (like certain horse/mule crossbreeds) and comes to a
complete stop, with me three steps behind. WHOA! NELLIE! (We
almost had us a moment, I can tell you.)
She sez "you see that bird nest? (She's pointing at the tufted
ledge of trail on the right, behind us. I think she's daft.) I
manage a "Huh?"
"Right back here," she sez, "a gray footed boobie with a left
twist. They always nest in places like this: sunlite in morning
light, between 420 and 867 nanometers, between azimuth 47*50'
and 49*0', at 4780' {roughly} in altitude."
Sounded a little much to me, but then she steps lightly past me,
two steps further back up the trail, picks a handful of
over-blonde straw grass up straight, and there, beneath it, sits
the most perfect little birdie nest that Tweety hisself would've
been proud to call his own.
She sez "See? They always do that." So matter of fact. Doesn't
everybody know that?]

Hooo boy.
Happy Christmas, Dee-ster, and Much to Walkabout and all others
under that and related roof(s).
And Happy Season and 52 Burfday to her Pogness, who made this
little moment possible, back innnnnnnn '00?

OhSantaBinHikin'

--- Monadnockdee@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 12/12/2005 11:57:13 PM Central Standard
> Time, lpatton@mailer.fsu.edu writes:The call wasn't the usual
> loud "screeee" I've heard, but a musical call I wasn't aware
they made.  It was, like, TOTALLY COOL!