[at-l] Re: Psychological traits

Hello, all- I'm a wanna-be LD hiker, and at-l reader.
I am interested in learning about developing the
psychological traits that can increase long distance
hiking success.

I'm not at all interested in religous philosophies, or
methods/philosophies that are "made from whole cloth",
that is, somebody dreamt it up and there's no
substantial foundation to it other than one person's
belief.

Any suggestions for me? Thanks!

James W. Jones

James, glad to hear you are thinking of getting out there for the long hike.  My advice is to be extremely flexible and laid back.  If you get too uptight about any one thing, you will ultimately convince yourself of the impossibility of it all.  Another piece of advice is to try to hike with or around others.  That can get you through tough times on the trail.  Shared misery is so much easier.  There are always a couple of low spots on a hike but that is what makes the high points so high.  I happened to have hiked with a great bunch of people(most of whom you have heard of) so that made it so much easier for me.  I think I still would have completed my thru-hike but it would have been much less enjoyable.  Now I have life-long friends to show for it.  Just get out there and be open-minded to everything and everyone that comes your way.  Best of luck to you.

  Oh, it also helps when trail angels like you are dropping trail magic in the mail.  That is a big boost to your psychological motivation!  Always wanted to get to the next PO to see what JWJ sent this time.  :)

  Poky  game '04

 Yahoo! Personals