[at-l] Bone Mass

--- Jim Bullard <jbullar1@twcny.rr.com> wrote:

> >On Nov 8, 2005, at 6:58 PM, RoksnRoots@aol.com wrote:
> >>        The article went on to describe how scientists
> discovered the body's mechanism for producing better bone mass
was triggered by impact levels above that of bike riding.
> >>             If that's the case, I'd imagine through-hiking
> to be the best form of 'trigger'...

> As a former runner I may have dense bones as a result but it
> played hell with the cartilage between the bones in my knees
and ankles. Going downhill is tough on my knees now.

### Sloetoe respondeth withthth:
Eat too much and you'll get fat.
Breath too much and you'll pass out.
Drink too much water and you'll get violently uncomfortable.
Consume too many vitamins and you'll get wierd.
Consume too much coffee and you'll get wired.

Bit of a pattern there? Yyyyep. Even Guinness, consumed in
over-wise quantities, may not be good for you. (I am attempting
research funding on that now, without much luck.)

Running did not destroy your knees' cartilage, Saunterer -- a
whole host of other factors contributed, from bad shoes to
crowned roads to mono-dimensional workouts to improper/missing
stretching to poor nutrition beforehand and poor hydration
afterwards. And let's not forget genes.

"Running"/"jogging" has been the scapegoat for cartilage
complaints throughout the population, to the point where it
became the kneejerk medical practitioner response for decades.
But like bone growth, *impactful* activities are also necessary
for satisfactory development, flushing, nutrition, maintenance
and rehabilitation of the cartilage we have now.

We *evolved* to marathon, *barefoot*; we did *not* evolve to pop
Vitamin I. Reasonable attention to activity, nutrition and
hydration produce marvelous results, but around the world,
across cultures, "activity" is the thing that distinguishes the
healthy from the not. People "fall ill", true; but truer is how
many people in the "civilized" West tend to *live* ill. ... ...
In contrast, consider this: A fifty mile race I missed this
weekend in Spencer Indiana (a spit-in-the-wind from Felix'
house) is directed by a gentleman who entered his 70s (along
with a succession of 100 mile races) years ago. I tell him every
time I see him that I want to be just like him when I grow up.

sloetoe
11/12 15k trail race
11/19 40m Smokys fun run
11/26 AT weekend
12/3  26m Tecumseh trail race
Hooo! More'n I done since ... since... In awhile!