[at-l] 'View Tax' Triggers Revolt in Rural N.H.

At 02:54 PM 11/2/2005 -0500, RoksnRoots@aol.com wrote:
>In a message dated 11/1/2005 2:46:59 PM Eastern Standard Time,
>ellen@clinic.net writes:
>*
>It's a myth that property assessments reflecting increased property values
>automatically increase tax bills.
>*
>        I think the man in the article said his taxes were going up 8 times...

Another example of RnR not reading (or perhaps not comprehending) what he
responds to before he fires off a reply. Weary said (correctly) that
re-evaluation of property does not raise the taxes collected, it just
distributes the burden differently. He did not contend that no one's taxes
would go up. The town/county or whatever divides the bill for services
based on property value. If they re-assess, some properties value will be
assessed higher than previously but others will go down or stay the same.
Those who were undervalued *will* end up with a higher percentage of the
total tax bill after a re-evaluation. That was never in dispute.