[at-l] Esbit, was at-l] Da stove question again---~~~

Jim Bullard wrote:

>> ...Topic is Esbit vs alcohol, not trioxane/hexamine/agent
>> orange/napalm whatever. Be fair.
>>
>> - Greenbriar
>
> Esbit tabs are hexamethylenetetramine AKA hexamine. Perhaps the
> tablets I have are different but they are a kind of semihard waxy
> consistency that gets softer when it is warmer.

Esbit brand fuel is as I described. NOT waxy. Does NOT get softer when
warmer. Can't speak to other brands of hexamine.

See: http://www.esbit.de/dynasite.cfm?dssid=4409&dsmid=67839

> I don't find them all that easy to light.

I agree.

> You seem to have to expose the to flame for several seconds, which can
> be difficult when it's breezy.

Yep.

> You only have to show alcohol a flame for it to ignite.

Yep - point maybe to Esbit? ;)

> I *really* don't like the goo on my cook pot. I'd rather deal with the
> carbon from a zip stove than deal with that goo. It's all a matter of
> taste anyway. If it gets your food hot and you are comfortable with
> it, as Martha says "it's a good thing".

De gustibus non disputandum est. But I was disputing your statement on
convenience, not taste.

- Greenbriar