[at-l] Appalachian Trail history question

Thanks Weary for the comment & correction. That material from Taylor would be
very interesting to read, so sad about the fire.

When I was researching the Bronx Boys Scout Hike of 1936 I came across Taylor as
a significant part of the effort to find the route. I got his title wrong,
thanks for the correction. Guy Waterman agrees with you on the title.

(Waterman's "Forest & Crag" states that Taylor "with the help of 2 other wardens
pushed the trail through thick conifer forests to the rocky ridge of
Saddleback". Waterman refers to his personal correspondence with Helon Taylor
for this info.)

One document I read at the time was remarking upon Taylor doing the
route-finding from Stratton heading S to the road crossing near Piazza Rock
shelter (Rt. 4). It's apparent that this section wasn't developed in time for
the boys' hike and I placed the start of their trip at Maine Rt. 4 (Rangeley) at
this location since, in Spring 1936, they could hike continuously from this spot
all the way to Georgia, a distance of 1866 miles.

Interesting stuff... RD