From: at-l-bounces@backcountry.net [mailto:at-l-bounces@backcountry.net] On
Behalf Of W F Thorneloe
Sent: Wednesday, October 26, 2005 9:22 AM
To: at-l@mailman.backcountry.net
Subject: RE: [at-l] Appalachian Trail history question

Rockdancer recalls: "2. When you stand on Bear Mt in NY, where the first section
was built (c. 1929), the carved rock has Mt. Oglethorpe as the southern
destination, and Mt. Katahdin as the northern end. "

I think he recalls wrong. I think the southern terminus per Bear Mtn is Vogel
State Park, just below Blood Mtn. I was pretty surprised to see that on my visit
a few years back.

OrangeBug