[at-l] Gathering

I came home early from the Gathering because my daughter Darcy  is
visiting with my 7 month old grand Daughter Emma.  On the way home I
ran into some minor flooding across roads near my home.  Then I
discovered water flowing at least a foot above the dam that controls
the water in front of my lakeside home on Crystal Lake New Hampshire.
I had an idea that there was very heavy rain last night but did not
guess that Hanover got over 6 inches during the night.  I didn't get
wet in my tent at Storrs Pond and slept through the worst of the
Storm.  There was a band of heavy rain from the south west corner of
the state on almost a straight line to Baxter State Park in Maine.  8
to 11 inches fell in this area with rates over 2 inches per hour.
Keene NH is flooded with several house in the area washed off their
foundations.  Roadways have been washed out and many bridges are
distroyed.  Only one person has died as of this moment.

I ran into many friends at the Gathering including Jim and Ginny
Owens.  I found Stump Knocker in the parking lot at Storrs Pond
talking with Bob Peoples.  Miss Janet was surrounded by admirers
after the opening seassion  at Hanover High School Gymnasium.  I got
to stand as a Thru Hiker for the first time with the Class of 2004.
I attended several sessions including The Long Trail, Grand Canyon
"Hiking Below the Rim" in January no less,  Long Distance Bicycling,
and a debriefing session with Mrs Gorp for field editors of The Thru
Hiker's Companion."  I did not attend the contra dancing after
Saturday night's session because it was raining so hard and I was
still wearing my shorts and croaks but the temperature had dropped
from the 70's into the low 50's.  I suspect the trail crew work
tomorrow will be affected by the heavy rain.  I wish I had been able
to stay in Hanover longer but I love my family more than I love
hiking.

Gabby
--

Life is Good!!!