[at-l] Anonymous

Funny, true story about anonymous names and posts to this list:

Once I got in a bit of hot water with the brightest light herabouts
when I happened to mention that the initials on the Mellencamp passes
he so graciously arranged happened to be something other than FM.
Having been castigated for outing his real initials, I immediately
entered into a lifetime vow never to make that mistake again -- that
if one of my trail buddies wished to be known only by his or her trail
name, I would assiduously honor said desire.

A few years back when exercising my fatefully impared judgment in
choosing companionship of the feminine persuasion, milady had taken to
participation on this list out of curiosity and who knows what other
nefarious purposes which lurk in the dark recesses of the heart of the
gentler sex.  Not long into her research and explorations, and after
agreeing with me that Felix's posts are most entertaining, she asked,
"What's his real name?"  Mindful of my vow, I said he just wants to be
known as Felix and I'm not at liberty to share his real name.  Of
course, that really went over well in the relationship -- as a matter
of fact, the mere matter of my breathing may have been the root
problem -- but let's get back to the story, shall we?  :-)

About 3 days after the exercise of my solemn vow, she told me she
found out his name -- and then correctly told it to me to confirm it
wasn't just a ploy to get me to spill my guts  (though they could use
a good spilling from the looks of them.)  So, I'm not sure what all
this anonymity is good for, but the fact that it allows for a good
story and gives Felix and RnR something to have in common is good
enough for me.

Don't worry, guys.  My lips are sealed.  Your sacred secret identitles
are safe with me.  I do have a hunch though that there may be a bit of
sex discrimination being practiced on one of these cases of anonymity.
 Not that there's anything wrong with that.

I'll add you to the list, Fred, I mean George, I mean Tin Man . . . uh oh!

Happy trails,

Solar Bear