[at-l] a hypothetical sleeping bag question

In a message dated 9/14/2005 6:17:56 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
mr_mcteague@yahoo.com writes:

i posted  earlier to ask about using a 40o down bag on
the Trail in march and april.  consensus of the list
and my own decisions after reading lots of  journals
and thru-hiker books was that i need to go with the
heavier 20o  bag to start.

If you have a Forty degree bag you can make it into a 20 degree bag with
extra insulation that you can send home once warmer nights begin.  Extra
clothing (and especially hat and gloves and socks) can keep one cozy and  warm.  I
did freeze in Georgia in April of 2004 but I think my bag (which  was old) was a
Sixty degree bag.  It didn't start out that way but when  down breaks down
(it was thirty years old) it does not retain heat.  Also,  a hammock is colder
than a tent.

Skylander Jack