[at-l] sleeping bag question

boulder wrote:
>good morning.

And a good morning to you - what ever time of day it is for you <G>

>so, i'm getting my gear together and headed for
>georgia in march. i've been reading journals, gear
>lists, books, blogs, etc. and getting good advice from
>my local gear store in portland, me.

When you get back home, you can tell them where they went wrong - but don't
let that worry you now.  <G>

>when i told todd, partner in store, send me right away
>to the sleeping back rack. i got an ultra light, down
>40 degree bag. though it might not be warm enough for
>early spring, especially with chance of snow. he told
>me that many thru hikers are using them for the whole
>trip. wearing all layers of clothing for sleeping on
>cold nights. so... i bought it. there were only 2, and
>for 20% off weren't going to last long.
>
>so, i love it, and will atleast use it when the warmer
>months arrive. BUT, can i use it for the whole trip?
>if i'm sleeping in base layer, fleece, etc. will i be
>warm enough? any recommendations for insulating at
>night?

Send the 40 degree bag to "anyplace" north of Mount Rogers, VA and send home
teh 20 degree bag that'll do you a lot more good in the South in early
spring.  What nobody seems to realize until they get there is that the AT is
at 4000 to 6000 feet elevation - and early spring (like in March) is COLD.

You can get snow anyplace south of Mt Rogers.  I got 14" when  I went
through there - and ended up holed up in town for 2 days.

On the other end of the Trail - send the 40 degree bag home from Glencliff,
NH - and pick up your 20 degree bag.  You'll likely need it (the 20 degree
bag).

Of course, you "can" ignore all this.   I won't be the one who's cold <VBG>

>ALSO... dummy me, only from reading since then did i
>find out that down is pretty useless when wet. i'll be
>in shelters or bivy on rainy nights. is that enough?
>if i have to sleep in a wet bag, and advice on getting
>any protection out of it at all?

Hmm - I went through that stage, too.  But we've used down bags on the PCT
and CDT and a lot of other places where there are no shelters out there. No
problem - just learn to be careful with it - and, as someone said, keep it
in a trash bag unless it's under shelter.

>when i broke the news of the trip to family and
>friends i said my biggest fear wasn't bears or broken
>bones or starvation. it's hypothernmia.

Take good rain gear.  Stay warm wet - not cold wet.  That's the real
function of rain gear - cause it won't keep you dry.

And pay attention to the advice you've already gotten here.  Good stuff that
I won't repeat.

>soory for the long build-up. this is all pretty new to
>me and i'm excited. not a total novice, but this is
>the biggest thing i've ever done.

Cool.  I remember the days.  And when this bloody knee heals, I'll join in
your excitement - cause we'll be back on the trail again next year, too.
<g>

Walk softly,
Jim

http://www.spiriteaglehome.com/