[at-l] sleeping bag question

At 06:15 AM 9/8/2005 -0700, boulder wrote:

>ALSO... dummy me, only from reading since then did i
>find out that down is pretty useless when wet. i'll be
>in shelters or bivy on rainy nights. is that enough?
>if i have to sleep in a wet bag, and advice on getting
>any protection out of it at all?
>
>when i broke the news of the trip to family and
>friends i said my biggest fear wasn't bears or broken
>bones or starvation. it's hypothernmia.

I've used nothing but down sleeping bags for the
last 30 yrs of hiking.  A kitchen wastebasket
garbage bag as a  liner to the stuff sack is all
you need to keep it dry.  I've never had to sleep
in a wet down bag.  This also implies a reliable
tent or bivy.

Hypothermia is a real concern.  I never go into
the woods without a layer of polypro thermals
(top and bottom) in my pack.  Also a fleece
hat and gloves and a good bargain (warmth
per unit weight.)

Ounce for ounce, there's no better protection
from hypothermia.  Top and bottom together
should weigh 10 oz. or less.

Layering is the key to staying warm or cool.
You need to add/subtract layers quickly.

rafe b
aka terrapin