[at-l] Natural Disasters...

At 02:12 PM 9/7/2005 -0700, Sloetoe wrote:
>3) I need a decent firearm, wit' lots o' bullets for to shoot.
>Ain't done that neither.

I don't mean to start anything but this probably will anyway.

I've been through a "disaster" (NE Ice Storm of '98). Not the scale of
Katrina but then there hasn't been anything the scale of Katrina before, at
least in my lifetime. We were among the lucky ones only without power for a
week. Many others went as much as several months without power with the
majority out for 4-5 weeks. There was no mandatory evacuation but quite a
few people ended up in shelters because it was January and they had no
heat. The roads were closed for about a week while they cleaned up the
debris that blocked many roads, some longer because of flooding that then
froze and blocked the roads with blocks of river ice. As one of the
emergency management people I had a police and military lines pass so I was
able to get out as soon as I cleared my driveway enough to get to the road.
There were National Guard troops posted to enforce the no driving ban and
to stop traffic from going down blocked roads. They weren't carrying
firearms. Maybe they had them in their vehicles, I don't know, but they
weren't "carrying" them. Nor did I even think about carrying a gun. I don't
own one anyway, haven't had one for about 40 years since I sold my 22
Marlin when I went in the Army. Nobody was looting, nobody was shooting at
anyone. As people talked about what they needed, generators topped the list
followed by food and water. No one even mentioned guns or ammunition. So
what gives with needing a gun? I just don't understand that.