Fw: [at-l] Quotes on Risk & Daring

----- Original Message -----
From: "Karen Koontz" <atinca@mindspring.com>
To: <jan12@mindspring.com>
Cc: "at-l" <at-l@mailman.backcountry.net>
Sent: Friday, February 18, 2005 3:02 PM
Subject: [at-l] Quotes on Risk & Daring

I am sending you two (older - like mid-90's) Nike print ads.  I can't tell
you how inspirational these have been to me - as a result, I took up hiking
and even went caving (despite being somewhat claustrophobic).  I'm sure my
e-mail program will mangle the formatting.  If you 'd like them on a Word
attachment, just let me know.

DO NOT LOOK FOR ANSWERS
    TO THE WRONG QUESTIONS.
Will you eventually be asked how big your office was
  or how much money you made?
          You may.
But tell your inquisitors you swam under a waterfall
             and climbed a 200-foot cedar.
                  Tell them how to run a Class V rapid.
Tell them the answer is El Capitan then ask them
   what the question is.
        Be selfish about this.
Let that body of yours feel its way up a rock face
             and find its balance
   on the slippery stones in a creek.
When you reach the top or get to the other side,
           look back.
   See what you've put behind you.
        Now,
   only one question
 deserves an immediate
           answer.

 What else is there?

   Just do it.

DO NOT RESIST CHANCES.
Take them like vitamins.
   Let go of the brakes.
 See what happens if  you go five more miles.
Footbridges be damned,
  find your own way across.
Don't worry about the bumps and bruises.
 Your body can take them.
Don't steer around the bits that scare you.
  Go over them.  Go through them.
Do something the guys in the bowling league
 would be terrified of.
  You will feel your chin rise up from your chest.
And you'll be able to see what's around you.
    What's ahead of you.
And there will be one less thing
    you cannot do.

   Just do it.

Tootles,
inca

PS (Just for fun :-)  "It's the good girls who keep the diaries; the bad
girls never have the time". (Tallulah Bankhead)