[at-l] Another point of view

Ah, my friend...speaking of a big wind, what you've done here is referred to as *pissing into it* on this particular venue.
(Major waste of time and effort)
-"Camo"

 With finger pointing going only one way on this list thus far, here's an alternative view sent to me by a thru-hiker friend. rusty

> September 04, 2005
>

> Why the Katrina storm made me switch from NBC to Fox News!
>

> Lee Ellis
>
> Watching both Fox and NBC after President Bush had been inspecting the Gulf
> Coast and New Orleans, I was shocked at how the nets and even some
> newspapers were trying to blame the Bush Administration for the slowness of
> help reaching these damaged cities. Obviously, Brian Williams and his news
> team do not know the laws nor do they know the past history of New Orleans,
> the city built in a bathtub of a swamp. This is a city where the dead, for
> centuries, have had to be buried in above-ground structures because the
> water is so close to the surface of this sinking city. If coffins are put in
> the ground, they will rise to the surface as the underground water pushes
> them up. I have been to these cemeteries personally to witness this.
>
> For decades, New Orleans has been told that the city is sinking and that the
> old levees have to be rebuilt and modernized in order to keep the city from
> being flooded. Local officials have never done this nor have pleas to
> Congress for federal help been heeded. Congress has simply never seen fit to
> do this fully, whether controlled by Democrats or Republicans.
>
> "Why did it take five days for Bush to help" has been the mantra voiced
> constantly by all the "Talking Heads" on TV. Here are the reasons.
>
> 1. It is against the law for any President to order troops into a city or
> across state lines without a request and permission from the Governor of
> that state.
>
> John Armor, a First Amendment lawyer and one of my favorite writers, told
> me, "Federal law prevents the President from sending in the National Guard
> until the Governor gives the order. It is little known, but the Commanding
> General of the National Guard in every state reports to the Governor, not
> the President, until the Governor says otherwise. US military units (regular
> Army, not the Guard) cannot be used because of the Posse Comitatus law,
> until the Guard has been authorized."
>
> According to some news sources, the Governor of Louisiana who knew the
> levees were weak, who knew that the city had been slowly sinking and who
> knew that a major # 5 hurricane was approaching her city did not call
> Washington for help.
>
> 2. The Mayor of New Orleans did call for evacuation over a loud-speaker, but
> did nothing to be sure that the police went door-to-door followed by
> transportation to pick up all those who did not have cars or any ability to
> leave. There was no other leadership practiced by the mayor as there had
> been in New York City during 9/11 by Mayor Giuliani.
>
> 3. The hurricane veered east and saved New Orleans, Brian Williams announced
> a week ago and all breathed a sigh of relief until, the levies broke a day
> or two later allowing the surrounding waters to pour into the city.

> [...]

Agreed. There's no tolerance here for those of us who don't lean to the
left.