[at-l] Natural Disasters - Morality

>> Churches, Schools, Community Centers, etc., need to upgrade their
teachings of morality and respect for the rights of others so that looting
can be minimized.  There is a clear breach of respect for the law among the
desperate poor.  Desperation for survival may overcome the law in cases of
tragedy so water and food (that would spoil over time anyway) could be  made
available to those in dire straits without charge (but reimbursable by
Government disaster funding).<<

I'm not a religious man by definition. Though I do hope I live by a strong
moral code implanted deep in my genetic code while growing up by my minister
father. During that time I heard and learned lot's of life lessons. Lessons
which at least make me think twice about what I do or say, even if at times
it doesn't prevent me from walking into to foolishness.

One lesson I learned was epitomized by the old saying "Walk a mile in my
shoes" and based upon some old religious teaching is Job or possibly
elsewhere. Anyway this isn't intended to be a religious seminar and I'm
certainly not qualified to teach one.

However in attempting to judge the actions of others I have to at least
attempt walk that mile first. However, in the case of the citizens of New
Orleans, I at a loss to do so. Nothing in my experience, background or
education prepares me to surmount this insurmountable task.

I don't know how to judge people who've lost everything and while still
alive are sitting on the edge of death.

What happens when your town is destroyed, your job - gone, your home -
destroyed, your possessions - gone, your neighborhood - destroyed, your
churches and community centers - destroyed, your hospitals - gone, many of
your family and friends - gone, everything that defines you as a human being
and a member of society - disrupted.

The writer in the opening paragraphs questions the teachings of the schools
and churches and the apparent lack of morality. While looking at the NASA
World Satellite software program I stopped counting at 40 the number of
churches within 2 miles of the Superdome. All within low income black
community. All flooded and presumably destroyed.

I don't know what they taught, though lessons in looting were probably not
listed on the Sunday bulletin. So I'm not in a position to question their
morality.

But in these trying times of war, famine, floods, genocide, hate speech and
political strife, I do have to some serious questions about my own morality
and I don't think I'm alone.

Fallingwater