[at-l] The goodness of people

Hi,

I just came back from working all day with CERT, the Community Emergency
Response Team, here in Vermont.  A call yesterday went out by the Governor
asking for the donation of specific items to the American Red Cross, and
where/when the collection points were open.  It was this task that I was
helping with.

Our little community filled a trailer truck chucker-block full in six hours.
It was amazing and at times, tearful.  I'm proud to say that my VFW gave
$1000 to the Red Cross - that caused the lady at the table to shed tears for
about a half hour.  I witnessed elderly ladies coming/walking in short steps
from a nearby retirement home with small bags - full of items.  I witnessed
[and unloaded] cars and pickup trucks - one after another - loaded with
water, food, clothing etc. A family with 12 neighborhood kids came, pulling
3 wagon loads of personal hygiene items and clothing.   All day it happened
and will continue 'til 8 tonight and more tomorrow.  A second empty trailer
truck arrived just as I left [my back was getting sore.]

Despite setbacks, the goodness of people is evident, and we have a lot to be
thankful for.  rusty