Subject: Re: [at-l] Women Hikers and Weight loss

> Message: 6
> Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2005 15:36:57 -0400
> From: Amy Skowronek <askowronek@mindspring.com>
> Subject: Re: [at-l] Women Hikers and Weight loss
> To: Nancy <bogey1@650dialup.com>
> Cc: at-l@backcountry.net

> On Aug 24, 2005, at 3:30 PM, Nancy wrote:
>
> > I am a middle-aged female and I lost 15 lbs in one month when
> > hiking Maine.
> > Near Stratton I was hungry enough to eat bark..so we got more candy
> > bars or
> > I probably would have lost 25 lb.
>
> Was that after doing the rest of the trail first?

No.
I section hiked the whole AT with my husband, Bogey over a ten-year period.
Maine was our final section. We drove two cars from Southeast Pennsylvania
to Rangeley, then took the second back to Gorham top begin our hike. Each of
three times we set the cars 100 miles apart and then hiked north...Gorham to
Rangeley; Rangely to Monson; Monson to Baxter SP.  We actually carried 10
days food for each 100 mile section. Other than at Stratton we did not go to
any hostels or hotels. We had just 4 weeks vacation time and were determined
to get it done. We restocked in Monson and Stratton. Bogey lost 17 pounds
during that month and I lost 15. This was the only hike where I lost weight.
But it was the toughest hike of all. Sometimes I could only hike 1 mph as
compared to 2-3 mph average in other states. For example we averaged 2 1/2
mph from Springer to Nantahala Outdoor Center.
I would never take two cars again. It was sheer delerium to drive 14-16 hrs
straight while trying to lead on unfamiliar roads without losing Bogey in
the rear car.  Add to that worrying if our cars would be vandalized as they
sat for days in trailhead parking lots.
But...It was nice to have a car after a big hike to go to a restaurant or
store during the switching of vehicles. Often we spent nearly a whole day
just moving the cars. Logistically it was a nightmare.
Slim aka Nancy