[at-l] RE: Mtn Mama's

I was there once on Dec. 26th.  I had started a winter vacation thru
hike of the Smokies AT.   Not a speck of snow anywhere.  By the time I
got to davenport gap, it had started.  By the time I got to the shelter,
there was at least a foot on the ground.  By the time I got to cosby
knob, there was 3 ft on the ground.  By the time I got to tricorner
knob, I had to dig out the shelter  ;-)  I figured it was time to quit
because I knew how narrow the trail was going to get and I could just
see me stepping in a snow bank and just keep on going down the slope of
the mountain. Besides, if you've ever had to force hike in the dark and
snow up a mountain, you know how mentally draining that can be.   So
after a couple of days at the shelter to rest and play with the local
ferrets, I headed back down.  Spent the freezing night in their bunk
house.  They had already closed, but, took care of me none the less.
Even gave me a plate of their leftover Christmas dinner.    Really nice
people.  I've always respected them for that night.

t.