[at-l] Greg's Dilemma...

That may well be but how do you change a lightbulb?

Jim and/or Ginny Owen <spiriteagle99@hotmail.com> wrote:

Charles wrote:

>Should I ever decide to thru-hike, I'll still hike up those 8 miles. It
>doesn't matter how many times I've done it - I agree with Weary - I
>shouldn't be trying to cut out miles on the first day. Psychologically I
>need to climb those miles. Yes, its not the "official" start - but it is
>the start. Its also a nice intro to what to expect in Georgia and NC.
>
>Also, if you start at the FS 42 parking lot, you really have an easy (and
>misleading) first day out to Hightower Gap. Besides, the trail to/from
>Amicalola is in the Guidebook!

Hmmm - don't wanta pop anyone's bubble, BUT --- that 8 miles is NOT part of
the AT. The AT starts (or ends, as the case may be) at Springer, regardless
of how you get there.

Warren Doyle has completed at least 13 end-to-end hikes - some of them
thruhikes, some section hikes. To my knowledge, he's never done that 8
miles - although I could be wrong. But he doesn't recommend it.

But - HYOH.

Walk softly,
Jim

http://www.spiriteaglehome.com/