[at-l] Damascus

Felix (& any other AT-L'er for that matter):

Well as long as you will be in the neighborhood, more-or-less, what are you
doing this weekend?

See below.

BTW -- Before some tells me that the "dawg days of summer" are still with us,
the "Dawg Days" are an annual PATH work weekend in early August to do nothing
but sidehill work.

BTW2 -- This is a fairly light worktrip, but a good chance to meet folk who
live along the trail as well as maintain it.

Chainsaw

THE MAIN EVENT
The Dawg Days of summer are behind us and it is time get prepared for the
August worktrip.  This should be a fun trip on 2 accounts, we have the
Trail Neighbors picnic at the Olystery shelter in Ceres and Bill B. and
John H. are out of town.  Steve Yonts, owner of the Tilson Mill in Ceres,
has been arranging to have neighbors in the valley come out and meet the
members of PATH.  The Ceres Fire Dept will be having their annual barbecue
at Olystery and they have welcomed us to join them.  PATH will pay for the
meals of the neighbors Steve lines up.  He is also working on having a
program for us to discuss the valley history.  The cost is expected to be
$5.   PATH has been asked to provide desserts to the neighbors, something
I know we are good at.

With Bill out of town and Jim Houck uncertain that he will make the drive
this month, I am looking for someone to be the greeter at Stoney Fork
Friday. They will need to be responsible for putting up the PATH sign and
possibly the big white tent and also checking off who has arrived.  I am
uncertain if we will use the big white tent at Olystery or use the smaller
one Walt donated.  If the weather is bad we might even set it up Friday
and move it Saturday to Olystery.  Right now I will not be able to arrive
until Saturday morning.

THE WORK
The work we have planned is to clean up the Olystery parking lot.  We are
going to need to cut the grass around the parking lot.  We will also be
removing the fencing between the lot and the shelter.  We plan to discard
the wire fencing but save the posts for possible water bars.  We will also
need to set up the PATH banner ,tables and tent for display's and
desserts.  In the past we have also helped the fire department get ready.
If there is extra time and workers there is some side hilling that could
be done on the first rise up the hill.

Bill has informed me that his section , behind Cumbows restaurant on I-81,
needs the briars cut.  Imagine that, he is out of town and we get to cut
his briars and grass.  If anyone has experience with the sickle bar this
will be an opportunity for you.  Weedeaters will be required too.

It was suggested that we give back to Stoney Fork this month.  A club
member has walked the Seven Sisters trail and said it could use some
clearing work.  Anyone looking to have a good walk should bring a pair of
loppers.  You could be dropped at the far end and walk your way back to
Stoney Fork.  It is a hilly but very pleasant walk.

If time permits we will seek out those pesky hammocks and donate them to
the proper authorities.

THE SIGN UP

Let me know when you be coming !!
<<