[at-l] Watches on the Trail?

At 10:24 AM 8/10/2005 -0400, Weary wrote:

>What cell phones provide that is totally different from previous human
>experience is the ability to go into wild areas and still communicate
>instantly with the outside world.

You've never heard of smoke signals?  Or the
aboriginal didgeridoo?

Of course, for those native folks, there was no
notion of "outside world" as in the current context.

For me the "watch question" relates directly to
the issue of disconnectedness.  Do we need
to be precisely aware of time when in the woods?
Is there anything you need to know that your
senses can't tell you?

Some have cited legit medical conditions, and
there's no way I'd argue with that.

rafe b
aka terrapin