[at-l] Punk20

Gentleman, start your engines and let the name dropping begin! I met Jerry back in the late 80's. I'm guessing from that and the drivers I know that hanging with him and hanging with a NASCAR driver would be about as much alike as going to a Dead show and going to a race. As a few people seem interested in racing, at least on a minimal level, I thought I'd mention that there are many inexpensive ways to race yourself, if you are so inclined. SCCA (Sports Car Club of America) runs events all across the country. There are events that anyone with a car (that passes their inspection) can race in. If you aren't keen yet on being between a wall and another car then maybe a Solo event is for you. These are timed pylon courses where its just you and the clock. If you want more, they have events for everything including driving schools that will teach you just what powering through a turn means and how to do it. If nothing else, you'd be a better driver for learning it. I have a few trophies
 from my days in it, which I hope are not over, and I have to say it is one of the most exciting things I've ever done. Right up there with when Olivia Newton John kissed me. I didn't wash my cheek for week. Anyway, for those who want more, here is the SCCA site...
http://www.scca.com/
Happy trails all... er... tracks

     Robert
(sounding more and more like Marcia Brady, whom I've never met)

john sob <budjasa@yahoo.com> wrote:
True enough, I've walked that section midweek with the hope that I didn't hear the race track but they rented it out to a bunch of guys in a porshe club to play on for the afternoon. So rather than eat lunch on the hanglider launch we just moseyed to a quieter place. Bummer but not a day killer.

I have been to dead shows (circa 70's)..and well..ummmm..not like a nascar event. Plenty of mellow friendly types but for different reasons ( I suspect).
John

Raphael Bustin wrote:
Felix wrote

>I, too, was very pleasantly surprised at the lack of unpleasant incident.
>And, there were LOTS (couple hundred thousand!!) of people there.

Sounds like a Grateful Dead concert, except
we haven't had any of those for ten years now.

(Jerry died August 9, 1995.)

Not to be a killjoy or anything, but I wonder
why AT hikers have to endure the noises of
a "mini-formula-1" track within earshot?

I'm referring to the one between Cornwall
Bridge and Falls Village in CT, just west or
north of the trail, iirc. Damn, talk about a
wilderness-killer.

Not one of the more majestic AT sections.

rafe b
aka terrapin