[at-l] Knowing that it's there.. and atml

> In his words - "I could never leave my computer
> behind."

> 4. We lost this war in the late 90's as far as the
> general population is concerned.

I guess I'm just too far disconnected from the general population to get it.

I also don't understand the idea that cell phones are the ultimate doom of
wilderness.

I've never seen the world in black and white like that.  In the next little
while, the technology will catch up to cell phones, and we'll be plugged
into a global satellite net that actually orks.  Cell phones will be an
unremembered flash in the pan.  Global media will become an instant
reaility.

I've been trying to say something for a few days, but I'm obviously not
communicating it very well.

The technology exists.  It's here.  It's with us.  It happens.  There isn't
anything to do about the technology.

We have to come up with a way to talk to people about their relationships
with the natural world.

Trying to villify the technology isn't going to get us very far.

To quote the Dalai Lama, "I agree that the fear of American cultural
imperialism is shared by many people, and I agree with your point about the
invasive nature of television culture. But I wouldn't draw the next
inference: that this is negative and therefore it must be stopped. I feel
that one should address this influence in a way that takes away the negative
edge through a positive counter- response. This way, you reinforce and
reaffirm your conviction in the inner values. You harness those beliefs and
develop them with a greater degree of self-awareness. That's the kind of
response people should have, instead of rejecting technology."

Shane