[at-l] Reality Check

In a message dated 8/2/2005 10:36:07 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
nightwalker.at@gmail.com writes:

> Or, people could just take it to keep their wife happy. My reality and
> yours
> may be different.

Then if it's not a crutch for the hiker it's one for the wife, sister or
daughter.

Believe it or not, I just got an email from a stranger regarding her father
and brother who are hiking on CDT in the San Juans from Wolf Creek Pass.  The
mother and daughter are fearful because they haven't heard from them since they
started last Saturday.  The hikers are in the middle of nowhere and cell
reception is non-existant.

All I could do was tell her not to worry, that they're probably fine, and she
should be hearing from them in the next few days.  That the trail is well
marked and if there is a problem there'll be other hikers or horse packers around
to lend assistance.

The fact that they're carrying a cellphone and the folks at home can't
receive a call has them worried, most likely needlessly.

Sly