[at-l] RE: Deterioration of the hike

I thought the argument made perfect sense, but I'm generally wrong about lots of this stuff. Wouldn't the key to that argument be the fact that it referred to not all people, but some. I would think there is room to say that some people do get distracted from the trail by having a cell phone with them. There is also room to say that maybe some people don't, although if you have the phone, I would doubt you would go without using it occasionally which actually proves Jim's point. If you are talking on the phone, you are not paying attention to the wilderness... even if you think you are. This has been proven by the tests done on drivers using cell phones. The reaction time of a driver on a cell phone is somewhere near the reaction time of a drunk driver. Oddly enough, a sleepy driver is actually worse than both, generally speaking of course, and has been proven to be so in driving tests. The thing to remember is that there are always exceptions to the rule. My father, in creating ads
 for the Massachusetts Safety Council, tried to show the effects of alcohol on two drivers (my cousin Joe and his friend Tiger) and it horribly backfired. They set up a pylon course for the two to drive through. Starting in the morning on empty stomachs, eating nothing before the first run, they each took a turn at racing the course. Their times were pretty good. Then they each had two beers and ran again. Their times improved slightly. They each finished off a six-pack and ran again. Their times improved significantly. By the end of the day my father was having them down straight shots of vodka. Their times continued to improve. Finally, he took the footage he had and reversed the order of the runs, thus proving that drinking and driving is bad. YMMV.

Bob C <ellen@clinic.net> wrote:I know. I read the "and" as "nor." That's why I answered as I did.

Weary