[at-l] On topic if you carry a cell on the trail... OT if youdont... Imp...

There are all kind of section hikers.

However, as one who has done both "short" sections (10 or less days) and
longer sections (up to two months), I find that it takes me a few days to get
into the "right now, right here, present moment experience."  The first few
days I am still thinking about back home (and before retirement, the job).
The last few of days a hike, I start thinking about re-entry -- the shuttle
logistics, the trip home, what I need to do first, next, etc.

It is only in the middle segment (however long) that I am disconnected from
the "other" world (and, as Colin Fletcher called it, its jangle).  It's those
disconnected days that are prime IMHO -- when "You have been living by sunrise
and sunset, by wind and rain, surrounded by the ebb and flow of lives that
respond only to such simple, rhythmic elements." (again with credit to
Fletcher) and when my focus is on the green world in a right now, right here,
present moment experience.  In my personal experience, it takes me a hike of
more than 10 days to develop that precious middle segment.

For me, any chain that can jerk me out of that prime experience is an
unfortunate intrusion. As always YMMV.

That said, I am also a married man with folk back home who have needs and
different comfort levels.  So, the cell travel deep in my pack and from
time-to-time I will check it for a message left by my wife, should anything
come up.  To date, she has never called, when I was hiking.  But she feels
comforted by the thought that she could get a message to me.

Chainsaw