[at-l] OT - Babcock Ranch Sold To Condo Developers

In a message dated 7/23/2005 6:10:19 PM Eastern Standard Time,
carol1944@brmemc.net writes:
*
*
*
I thought Nature Conservancy or some other group was trying to purchase the
property.  Weren't they?  What happened if they were.
*
*
*

     The Babcock family thought the $450 million or thereabouts that was
offered by the state wasn't enough. Their main reason for turning it down was the
amount of taxes they would have paid on it (according to them). The developer
came up with $600 million. Well, not surprising considering the money he'll
make selling off the Panther's future in the form of concrete pavement. The
extra $150 mil wasn't worth the Panther in my opinion. Tyranny of the individual.
One of the best examples for eminent domain - also in my opinion.

            Ask Texas to explain it, since he has such strong feelings. Or
better yet, ask some of our pro-writers or diplomats...

*