[at-l] The Other MacKaye Vision

In a message dated 7/22/2005 12:01:39 PM Eastern Standard Time,
spiriteagle99@hotmail.com writes:
*
*
*
As for the "morally repugnant and shockingly naive." part - you REALLY,
REALLY need to re-read the original AT proposal and figure out just exactly
WHO - and HOW the Trail and all it's attendant infrastructure (as MacKaye
proposed it to be) were supposed to have been built and maintained.  We
fought a war, in some part, to free slaves - and MacKaye proposed the
creation of an entirely new class of slave.

       *** After correcting Texas' lack of correct context, Jim then goes on
to advise Texas he wasn't critical enough. Jim typically then inserted another
forced conservative spin on MacKaye accenting only the exaggerated negative
side of the Project. Meanwhile Jim only gives passing recognition to the fact
that those very same efforts gave us the Appalachian Trail (but only when it
was saved from enslaving and overturning the nation (a veiled reference to the
AT being a vehicle for US communism [Which Jim will never admit directly]).
Thank goodness those of pure vital life juices saw this and corrected it.

          I won't venture into the new class of "slave" we now have. Suffice
to say it is one who is told that progressive land destruction is good and
pure and politically correct.

  And he proposed it in the naive
assumption that mining, farming and logging would be "FUN" for those who
toiled in the factories and cities for most of the year.  Sorry, Bubba, but
I know what mining, farming and logging are like --- and it ain't fun for
more than one day.  And mostly not that long.

        ***   No matter how many times you repeat that those logging and
farming lands were designed to be locked into the Project and therefore preserve
the lands which they encompassed, you will be ignored, and frivolous, skewed
references misquoting MacKaye and distorting his intentions will be offered. No
discussion of the 3 jobs it now takes inner city bottom rung persons to afford
an overpriced rent will be mentioned while talking about slave classes, but
most importantly, absolutely no discussion will occur over the environmental
outcome caused by the lack of those Project components, the subsequent
development which occurs in their absence, and its relevance to MacKaye. This most
critical aspect of MacKaye will not only get no response from the so-called "Trail
Community," but it will also get you ignored, filtered, and name-called.

       What I love about conservative right wing rhetoric types is they are
the first to call for draconian cuts and self-supported welfare, but then when
you actually design one that serves a functional environmental purpose the
political baiting machine turns on full power. God forbid the Project ever
worked. Meanwhile we will never see discussion of the Project's conservative
substitute - coming in the form of the present Pennsylvania developments or Plum
Creek. Nor will we see any discussion of the alternative, well-apportioned "slave
class" - the cost of which will be an overdeveloped nature-less hell of a
future for our descendants.

None of this, BTW, is a put-down of MacKaye - he was a product of the
society he lived in.  But I think it's a damn shame when those who "defend"
him make him into a one-dimensional character and then twist his words to
fit their own personal agenda.  That implies an ignorance of history and of
human nature that I find repugnant.  MacKaye was MUCH better - and MUCH more
of a real human being than some people give him credit for.

            ***   I cringe thinking that someone so profoundly void of any
real appreciation or understanding of MacKaye's real good would have the gall to
present such an insulting review of the man who created the object of our
attention and all that that same person enjoys. These persons are not, of course,
guilty of any "one-dimensional" interpretations themselves. Or focusing on
political distortions in order to detour around the otherwise obvious.

            I wonder if Jim would care to comment if the present
multitudinous rapes of the AT from one end to the other are possibly "a product of the
society we live in"??? It's clear that such a narrow definition of MacKaye can
only be achieved through casual indifference to what is most important about him
and the Trail...