[at-l] Development plans raise concerns

In a message dated 7/13/2005 1:01:46 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
RoksnRoots@aol.com writes:

I'm  afraid our government is made of quick dollar  cowards...

"We, the people of the United States........" are the government.  So,
instead of blaming the bureaucrats (people who need their jobs to feed their
families) we need to speak up.  There are local organizations that have  clout
(because of the numbers of people who belong) and information.  Each  project has
a hearing prior to launch when the public is invited to speak about  the
impact (positive or negative) to the community whether economic or  environmental,
and it is at this point that voices need to be raised.  The  ATC (through its
member clubs along the length of the trail) needs to be aware  of projects
that impact the trail and raise the alarm.  Then the local  club's members need
to speak out at local meetings (not just at the impact  meeting) such as
Kiwanis, Rotary, Churches, Meeting of Architectural Engineers,  etc., and inform the
public.

It seems that no one is aware of projects affecting the AT until the
bulldozers begin to tear through the mountainside.  At this point it is too  late!
The information needs to be shared in the early processes of a  project.

"We have found the problem....and it is us."  Who said that?  Was  it Pogo?

Skylander