From: Shane Steinkamp [mailto:shane@theplacewithnoname.com]
Sent: Tuesday, June 21, 2005 2:24 PM
To: shellydhale@earthlink.net; Bror8588@aol.com; k_vanoverbeek@yahoo.com; Jack.Bulkley@sas.com; at-l@backcountry.net
Subject: Re: Q on lightning & hammocks........RE: [at-l] Hennesy hammock,G4/ Mariposa pack on a thru questions

> I have a question for you hammock hangers....what happens if the tree you
are strung up
> to gets hit by lightning?  Does anyone ever worry about that or am I just
weird?
> OK....OK....don't answer that one.  ;-)

I just posted the answer to this on another list.

It very much depends on the type of strike and the type of tree.  In some
instances, trees explode when struck by lightning.  If you're tied to a tree
that blows up, all bets are off.

If the tree doesn't explode, you will not take the full strike, but may take
some associated juice.  All in all, though, it is MUCH better to be in a
hammock than in a tent on the ground.

Shane