[at-l] "Human crap"

Let's see if I get this. I think this thread once spoke of the trail being here for the sake of being wild. I'm not sure if it was ever said that this was the only reason for the trail. Similarly, I believe somewhere in this thread, the comment was made that the trail is here for the sake of humans. Again, I don't believe anyone intended that to be an all-or-nothing statement. The trail is here for humans. Sure. The trail is to be kept as wild as possible. Sure. There is a trail, and obviously it is there for humans as no other creature needs a painted white blaze to get around in the area. It is kept wild, but not completely wild. The paint alone precludes it from ever truly being completely wild. The beaten path and humans around, as well as a number of other reasons, also prevent this from happening. But, a major reason for the trail being here is for humans to be able to experience something close to wilderness. Most likely, as one treks along the trail, they will experience as
 much wilderness as they ever will in their lives. Few will experience a place more wild than the AT. Is this about right, or am I way off base and have no idea what the AT is, was, or will be? I get the feeling that this particular thread has created an argument where none really exists. What a shocker, right?

           Robert, Fin, Stuck, or anything else you want to call me... just keep it polite.

Rafe Bustin <rafeb@speakeasy.net> wrote:
At 01:29 PM 6/15/2005 -0500, Shane wrote:

> > I agree that the Trail exists primarily for the
> > benefit of humans.
> >
> > But the Trail is nothing without being (mostly) wild,
> > or "as wild as possible."
>
>Agreed
>
> > Being pro-Trail means protecting its wildlife.
>
>Agreed.
>
> > There's no contradiction there.
>
>I never said there was.
>
>It's important to understand that the trail exists primarily for humans,
>however. I am trying to point out that a certain member seems to think that
>the trail has a "wilderness purpose", and that's all.

Why are you so keen to deny the "wilderness
purpose"? In two cases above you "Agreed"
to my premises. Aren't these both "wilderness
purposes"?

The AT is useful to humans precisely because
it is a place where wilderness is given proper
respect and the highest priority. Hopefully it
is a place that instills that same respect in
those who go there and walk.

The AT does not exist for the benefit of the
spruce grouse, but if the spruce grouse were
to disappear, its "humanocentric" purpose
would be diminished. Similarly for every other
species of flora or fauna on the AT.

I still don't see what you're hammering RnR
about at this moment.

rafe b
aka terrapin