[at-l] Was: Subject banned by Ryan Now: A trail goes through it

At 06:11 PM 6/15/2005 -0400, Solar Bear wrote:

>I don't see much reason for argument here.  Whether you call the AT
>corridor wilderness, or lands put together to provide the "illusion of
>wilderness" for an urban citizenry who needs an outlet to retain some
>connectedness to the earth, I hope we all agree that it is a good
>thing to do.  I'd be happy just to protect an expanded corridor around
>our cherished AT and keep it out of the hands of those who would
>degrade it, develop it or destroy it. And kept free from invasive
>plants, ATVers, more roads, cell towers,  etc.  I'd also like to see
>it monitored for the highest level of clean air and water standards.
>And I'd like to see any existing historical, cultural, biological,
>social and geological features within the corridor identified,
>protected and cherished.  You don't have to call it wilderness, but I
>do hope you'd call it special and valuable.
>
>Perhaps someday the entire Trail will be on the National Register of
>Historical Places.  Again, it doesn't have to be wilderness to be an
>irreplaceable part of the fabric of our nation.

Much to agree with here, especially that
very last sentence.

Protection of wildlife and wild places is
entirely consistent with a humanistic world
view and purposes.

While wilderness (or close facsimile thereof)
is a huge part of the AT experience, it isn't
the only part.  "Historic and cultural resources"
are explicitly mentioned in the ATC mission
statement.

rafe b.
aka terrapin