[at-l] This and That

At 04:44 PM 6/11/2005 -0400, RnR wrote:

>Yes, I agree. And I also applaud those who admitted they were
>wrong when a witness came forward and told us ADLHA had related to Bryson
>that a hostile audience was present. (hehehe)

I think I know why thru-hiking purists loathe Bryson.
After all... they've slogged their way through 2170
miles of trees/hills/rocks/roots, feel pretty damn good
about what they've done and after all that, most folks
who hear their story just shrug... 'cuz if you haven't
tried it, you've got no clue what it's all about.

Along comes Bryson, middle age and overweight,
walks maybe 10% of the trail, writes a best selling book
about it and gets rich off the proceeds.  This could be
annoying, if you saw your hike as somehow entitling
you to "bragging rights."

Personally, I'm not a through-hiker, and may never
be, even though I've walked a lot more AT than Bryson
and a lot less than, say, Felix.  I've read AWITW
numerous times and it still makes me laugh out loud.

rafe b
aka terrapin