[at-l] Policing the trail...

In a message dated 6/5/2005 4:20:05 PM Eastern Standard Time,
Snodrog5@aol.com writes:
*
*
*
Yeah, all those work camps, farms, logging operations, lumber mills, and
asylums he intended sure are a great part of the present trail, ain't they?
Thank goodness we have the Trail Avery built and not the one MacKaye proposed.
*
*
*

         This has been discussed numerous times and, from your response,
ignored I guess.

        The short version is that the original Project, even with those
'developments', would most definitely have included more lands. Once you locked
those lands into the national forest-like corridor MacKaye intended that would
have been it. Compared to today's piecemeal encroachment this corridor would now
be much wilder than the present one. MacKaye knew that, which is the reason I
suspect he left the Project.

    There are many CCC/WPA-era park projects still existing today. When I
look at them with their rotting facilities and remote structures I see an aging
vestige of MacKaye's Regional Planning - just the Roosevelt/government version
- not the greenbelt one MacKaye tried to pull off.

            TJ, I appreciate your educational interest...