[at-l] Where Harpers Ferry fits in the ATC picture

To get a picture of how the headquarters and board functions should
relate to the members, the Trail and the clubs, think about Apple's
amazing little iPod for a minute.  Let me over-simplify a bit and
suggest that there are 4 components to the listening experience.
First, and most important is you, the music lover.  Then comes the
music which is your reason for buying the iPod in the first place.
The third component is the iPod itself, a wonder of technological and
design engineering, and finally, the rechargeable battery pack which
powers the process.

In our ATC, the member is our iPod user who wants to listen to the
music.  Obviously, for us hikers, the Trail is the music.  The clubs,
club members, regional offices and regional staff are the iPod, the
exquisitely designed army of Trail advocates and lovers who make the
Trail what it is.  All of the staff and board functions in Harpers
Ferry serve as the battery, the power source to keep that music
playing for the members. (In this analogy, I don't mean to ignore the
maintainers as a power source.)

Just as a music lover rarely hesitates to think of the battery pack in
his or her iPod unless it needs recharging, much the same can be
thought of the folks in Harpers Ferry.  They can be ignored unless the
music stops.

I don't paint this picture only for the benefit of the members, but
also for those in Harpers Ferry,  It is important that they understand
the limits of their positions while performing their profoundly
important duties.  We all need to remember that it is the Trail that
steals the spotlight first, and beyond that it should be shined on the
tireless maintainers and volunteers.  The batteries need to do what
batteries do with little fanfare or recognition.  That is (or at least
should be) the nature of the ATC.

Happy trails,

Solar Bear