[at-l] Re: A Walk in the Woods

The slim chance of that already passed.  He was on the agenda as a
feature speaker at a previous Gathering, but the myopia (and
bloodlust) of a segment of the membership chased him away.  As he was
living in Hanover at the time, the logistics were easy, but we blew
it.

I love it when my work is critiqued and when it is effective.  If BBryson had wanted to speak at Hanover, he could have done so.  Using my criticism as an excuse to stay away is just that -- an excuse.  Don't go telling me that someone as 'big' as BBryson couldn't get past a little criticism.  He could have taken the opportunity to explain himself or he could have ignored it.  His failing to show speaks more about him than about me or the ATC or any others here who feel he stepped out of bounds in his book.  His failure to be involved in the AT and in the at-l  speaks volumes about his true commitment to the AT, the AT community, and the ATC, and even more volumes about his true agenda -- $$$$..  After all, the WitW book is ONLY one of many he's written.  A little criticism of 'artistic style' is good for a serious writer.  He can dish it out, he just can't take it.

BBryson is no 'friend' of the ATC or the AT.   Didn't he consider that his biting sarcasm could also bite him in the butt?  (or pocket-butt/book)  Or was that just an after-thought, especially now that there "may be" a movie about his book and he's afraid a segment of the hiking public will not pay the admission or purchase the DVD?  It all boils down to Money in the end, doesn't it?

BBryson bit the hand that feeds him.  I guess his move to "the Isles" to hide from the likes of a 60 year old critic is just another "joke?"

You can disagree with me and I hope you do.   I'd hate to be the poster-old-lady for the Southern Chapter of the Literary Critic's Guild.

Kiss it and make it better?
Coosa
http://auntiecoosa.blogspot.com
("Stupidity is also a gift of God, but one mustn't misuse it" ~ Pope John Paul II The Great)