The ATC -- [Was: Re: [at-l] Re: A Walk in the Woods]

--- Leslie Booher <lbooher@pure.net> wrote:

> the problem is that the average age of ADK members is "older" and the club
> has to buy hiking photos of younger hikers, canoers, etc.
> ***********************
> The Audubon Society has the same problem.  Birders are older people.  Young
> people just don't watch birds.  They tried to expand their image several
> years back, but I'm not sure that it was successful.  Does anyone have any
> data on that?  anklebear

I just don't see why a club/group that appeals mainly to "older" people has to
buy photos of younger people.  "Younger" people hike, conoe etc., "older"
people join clubs, build stuff, maintain trail,"preserve" historic
buildings--think about the bigger picture.

That's just how it is.  Among thruhikers it's mostly a given that there are two
main groups on the trail at any time: pretty young and pretty old. College kids
and retirees.  The kids are just hiking and thinking about their futures, the
old *might* be thinking about a common future.

If you want to raise awareness among the young, that's a good thing.  If you
want them to think like "older" people, you're just wasting your energy.
They'll join in their time.

If you can pitch your message along some broad theme like "Conservation" you
might make some money selling T-shirts (as a "gift" for joining,) I guess.  Are
there any other national or regional "clubs" that attract young people but are
not related to music or dating services? (Sorry if I'm off base here, I was
never young--ignorant but never young.)

JestBill  Ga--->Me '03